Access to Land

  • An estimated 85% of the land in Sri Lanka comes under the ultimate ownership of the state, leaving only about 15% for private ownership (ANGOC, 2012).
  • The average size of small-holdings in 2002 was 0.47 (Census of Agriculture, 2002 as cited in Revitalizing Small-Scale Agriculture: Rental Policies of Alienated State Lands of Sri Lanka by D. Marawila).
  • There is a total of 835,732 ha of land distributed (out of 1,200,501 ha allotment) under the Land Development Ordinance by 2003 (Land Commissioner’s Department, 2003 as cited in Revitalizing Small-Scale Agriculture: Rental Policies of Alienated State Lands of Sri Lanka by D. Marawila).
  • The Department of Census and Statistics recorded a GINI coefficient of 0.49 in 2007.

Land Disputes

Muslim Rights Organization (MRO) has recorded 14,872 cases of land claims and conflicts in 2003, covering 62,670 acres (25,361.649 ha) of land (Fonseka, B. and Raheem, M. 2010).

Food Security and Nutrition

  • According to the United Nations Statistics Division, 19% of the population in 2006 was undernourished.
  • HIES 2006-2007 record shows that 2,805,000 individuals in Sri Lanka are poor. (Disaster Management Centre, et. al., 2009)
  • Nearly 44% of the 1.2 million population in the north are food insecure (World Food Programme, 2013).